With all the options of Apps in Office 365 it can be very confusing to decide what document to store where exactly. There is no strict rule on this, exactly because Office 365 is designed to be used as fits you best.
To make your life as a user or administrator more easy you could start with the following concept and build onwards/adjust from there.
| | |
I did not visually work it out (yet) but as a starting point I use the following “ruling”:
- Personal documents with incidental sharing (HINT: point the Windows My Documents to the local OneDrive sync folders location)
- Team collaboration “work in progress”/draft documents (The digital war room principle)
SharePoint Team sites
- Document archive and publishing to a larger team/ department/group of people (SharePoint Team site)
- “Public” documents (Intranet site) / News page related (published) documents
- Documents with a minimal archiving period
- Documents with specific version management
- Documents with publishing approval
Yammer (in case Yammer is actively used as an inter company social platform)
- Documents with social info / nonwork related data – not important who does or does not read or can access the document – no retention requirements
This is only a guide so you can start working with documents within some kind of boundary concept with the benefit of “all faces in the same direction” group work.
Review this working method/policy within your group and adapt based on your experience and needs.
Have filing fun!